Music on Lost in Trans...

Peter Larson pete
Sat Apr 10 18:45:28 EDT 2004

Well, this isn't the first movie that made it on the merits of its
soundtrack. Movies like the Big Chill come to mind. I'm sure that
Coppola thought hard about what would appeal to her target audience and
less about how it logically fit in the film's time period. Overall, I
thought the selections were effective in that they are mostly tunes that
everyone knows although I'm not running out and buying the soundtrack.

Pete

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
[mailto:owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu] On Behalf Of
drainer at mpinet.net
Sent: Saturday, April 10, 2004 6:38 PM
To: KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Re: Music on Lost in Trans...

 It's not new wave or old wave, it's "indie."
 You know, the new trend; bring back rock n' roll... I hear enough of it
here... trust me.

Regardless; that is what I meant about the whole soundtrack affecting
people
who have never been to Japan and like the film... I have many, many (I
should say countless) friends who think that this film is a modern
masterpiece.. Why? Because the music appeals to them. Coppola knew what
she
was doing.

And I think that the songs were just picked for that appeal; the fact
that
they appeal to subculture audiences in the "West" and in Japan... it's a
winning combination, really.