a japanese film of sixties

Aaron Gerow gerowaaron at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 4 10:17:54 EDT 2004

Harry,

Thank you so much for the vivid account. You really make those days
come alive. I think I can imagine the horse cart traveling around
advertising Zatoichi.

It is interesting that you attribute the influx of Japanese film to the
post-Rashomon boom. That is usually considered an art-house phenomenon,
but it is fascinating to think of its affects on even a place like
rural Java. One possible way of thinking about this is the role of
Daiei, and particularly Nagata Masaichi, in such cinematic trade. While
films like Sansho Dayu were made in part with Western audiences in
mind, Nagata enthusiastically eyed the Asian market and wrote numerous
essays on the profits to be obtained there. Your mention of Rashomon
and Zatoichi--both Daiei product--make me wonder whether many of the
movies you see were not Daiei films, entering Java in part because of
Daiei's active efforts to enter the Asian market. That would also
explain in part why Japanese films disappeared in the 1970s, after
Daiei went bankrupt. If you saw Godzilla, clearly other studios' films
were being imported as well, but I wonder if you saw Daimajin or
Gamera? Maybe some of the Daiei ghost and goblin films? Nikkatsu also
did well in the Asian market, so I wonder if the youth films you saw
were Nikkatsu films?

With much discussion today about contemporary Japanese popular culture
in Asia, it is clear more hard historical research needs to be done
about earlier examples like this, and about such institutions like
Daiei and Nagata.

Aaron Gerow
KineJapan owner

Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University

For list commands, send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html