Kitano's honor

Mark Nornes amnornes at umich.edu
Sat Aug 28 08:13:39 EDT 2004

I flicked on the television to surf and caught the last 30 seconds of
Takeshi's Konna hazu de! (http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/konhazu/). Wished I
had caught the whole thing, as it was about Japanese stars that made it
in Hollywood. Apparently, the occasion for the theme was Watanabe Ken
being chosen to play a villain in the next Batman installment. Here's
the description off the webpage:

日本人初のハリウッドスターは○○役だった!
来年夏、世界が注目するあのシリーズ第5弾「バットマン・ビギンズ」が公開決定。そこに大抜擢されたのが、我らがサムライ・渡辺謙。彼が挑む役は、影の
軍団の黒幕。そう、バットマンの○○役なのです。ハリウッドの成功には欠かせない、○○役。しかし、その顔にはもう一つの意味があったのです。

Actually, the reason I thought I'd post about this was the comment
Takeshi ended the show on. Went something like, "You know I had this
film called Brother that was set in the States. It won the grand prize
at the Iran International Film Festival. The reason is that there are
scenes were Japanese shoot Americans.

As an American, I think this is kinda funny. But if I were Iranian, I'd
be pissed.

Markus