Shuji Terayama

Peter Larson bulb at tc3net.com
Wed Jan 7 02:13:53 EST 2004

I went through the same thing when writing a paper on Terayama for
university. There is precious NOTHING in English on his film or stage
work. I managed to find some things in German, which I would be happy to
dig up and send to you, assuming you read German.

His mother has some sort of ban on presenting his works in English until
they can ALL be presented in once as a huge box set. As anyone could
tell you, Terayama's output was HUGE so that the project would be
financially impossible. It's really sad, because Terayama's work is
little known in the English speaking world (he is certainly known in
Germany, France, and the former Yugoslavia).

I would very much love to discuss Terayama's films, if you would like to
discuss off or on list, BY ALL MEANS, please do. Terayama is one of
Japan's most underrecognized (in the English speaking world) treasures.

I had the pleasure of visiting the Terayama museum in Misawa once, I
highly recommend anyone to go there. It's incredibly out of the way, but
worth it.