Shimizu (was Re: HKIFF)

Bernardi-Buralli dburall1 at rochester.rr.com
Fri Jan 30 00:40:11 EST 2004

I'm guessing this is the same retrospective that was just shown in Tokyo in
tandem with (I understood it to be a kind of Shochiku Kamata complement to)
the Ozu 100 year anniversary series. The Shimizu series was part of the 4th
Tokyo FILMeX festival. One interesting thing--when Shimizu's MINATO NO NIHON
MUSUME/Japanese Girls at the Harbor (1933) was screened for the first time,
one of the leads, Inoue Yukiko (Yoko in the film), was present for the
screening. It was a surprise happening and a bit exciting (moving,
even)--apparently when she noticed the film was being screened she called up
the festival people, and was happy to see the film again for "the first time
in 70 years."

Joanne Bernardi