Two questions

Roland Domenig roland.domenig
Thu Jun 10 13:06:05 EDT 2004

> 2) I'm looking for a succinct overview of the role of Kyoto in the
> development of Japanese cinema.  Preferably short rather than
> book-length.  Any suggestions where to look would be much appreciated.

the kyoto international film festival issued in 1994 a bilingual
(japanese/english) catalogue with the title KYOTO CINEMAP/CINE-CITY KYOTO
with a lot of useful information about the role of kyoto for japanese film
history.
for a more detailed overview try the book KYOTO NO EIGA 80-NEN NO AYUMI (80
years of Film in Kyoto) edited and published by the Kyoto Shinbun in 1980.
the publisher heibonsha issued in spring 1997 a BESSATSU TAIYO about NIHON
EIGA TO KYOTO with a lot of pictures and some brief overview articles.
A good description of the development of the film industry in kyoto up until
1945 gives shobayashi fumio's KYOTO EIGA SANGYORON (keibunsha, 1994). the
book includes many film stills and reprints of leaflets and old film
programs.

roland domenig
institute of east asian studies
vienna university