on the ring remake

JP Meyer jpmeyer
Wed Jun 23 20:03:41 EDT 2004

While I thought really liked the cinematography in The Ring, I agree
that the cleanliness of the action was a lot less scary than the
ambiguity in Ringu.  For instance, when Tomoko dies at the beginning
of Ringu, it seems like it probably takes a short period of time
(starting from when her TV turns on until the freeze-frame,) but the
freeze-frame at the end makes it unclear as to just how much time
passes.  To highlight this more, in the scene right after this where
Asakawa is interviewing the schoolgirls, they give very different
stories from what we saw with Tomoko and what we heard when Masami was
talking to Tomoko prior to Tomoko's death.  Then at the end when we
finally see Sadako, this scene takes significantly longer than when
Tomoko died.

Oh, and self-introduction:

Name: JP Meyer
Affiliation: just graduated from Case Western Reserve University and
now looking for a grad school to study post-Shiri South Korean cinema.
Research interests in Japanese film: Adolescence in film, as well as
gender in anime (and more specifically, anime romantic comedies)