Modern Japan History Workshop

Mark Nornes amnornes at umich.edu
Fri Mar 12 13:29:00 EST 2004

Note that Ozu films and Shinoda will be in town during this----as Peter
pointed out----and that it's looking like Aaron will be giving a talk
on Ozu along with Alex Dudden and John Treat. Sounds great!

Markus

 From Andrew Gordon:

The spring round of the Modern Japan History Workshop will be held at
Harvard University this coming April 10, at the Central Square outpost
and temporary home of the Reischauer Institute of Japanese Studies (2nd
floor, 635 Massachusetts Avenue, right at the Central Square "T"
station).  Details on housing arrangements are below and attached.

As always, the focus is on informality and discussion and brief
presentations, rather than on formal or lengthy research
presentations.  Our goal is to generate and exchange ideas, and
facilitate contact among the extended community of modern Japan
historians in the northeast.

The morning session, 9:30 am to noon, will focus on the practice of
"cultural studies" of modern Japanese history, with particular focus on
the recently published 10 volume Iwanami Koza series, Kindai Nihon no
Bunka Shi.  The editor of the volume, Kojima-san, is coming from Japan
and will start the discussion with his thoughts on the creation and the
reception of this project.  Others who have contributed to the
volume-Victor Koschmann, Greg Pfugfelder, and Naoki Sakai-will offer
thoughts, and as time allows I may say a few words about Yoshimi
Shunya's contributions, before opening a general discussion of the
potentials (or limitations) of the scholarship represented in this
series, and other related or similar work.  I will shortly send out as
attachment a file containing copies of the table of contents of each
volume, so all can be at least somewhat familiar with the work.

The afternoon session, 2-4:30, will focus on film, history, and
literature, for several reasons.  One, Harvard is hosting director
Shinoda Masahiro to show his classic Double Suicide" on May 14 and this
recent "Spy Sorge" on May 16.  In addition, we are all somewhat
familiar with the current "flood" of Japan-themed and Japan-located
films from Hollywood and elsewhere (Australia, France, at least).
Third, and most immediate, the Harvard Film Archive is showing a
complete Ozu retrospective-36 films in all-starting on April 2 through
May 11.  On Friday the 9th, just before our workshop, two films will be
shown: Walk Cheerfully (Hogoraka ni Ayume), and An Inn in Tokyo (Tokyo
no Yado), at 7 and 9 pm.  Scheduled for Saturday night, the 10th, are
"The Only Son" (Hitori Musuko) at 7 and "What did the Lady Forget"
(Shukujo wa nani o wasureta ka) at 9.  All are released originally
between 1930 and 1937.  The first two are silent, the second two are
talkies.  You are all welcome to attend these films (at Carpenter
Center on the Harvard campus.

With this in mind, we hope to have three brief presentations on
approaches to Japanese film in general, Ozu in particular, from the
perspectives of film studies, literary studies, and historical
studies.   Tentative speakers will be Aaron Gerow, John Treat, and
Alexis Dudden.
To facilitate planning for lunch and dinner, if you are planning to
attend, please send a brief note to Ms. Margot Chamberlain, at
chamber2 at fas.harvard.edu, by April 2.

As you know, the workshop is a low budget operation.  The host school
cannot cover transportation or lodging costs.  However, we can
subsidize group lunch and dinner on the 10th, and we will do our best
to find housing for graduate students from out-of-town in the rooms of
local students.  If you are a graduate student and you wish housing for
either or both nights (April 9th, 10th), please RSVP to Ms. Margot
Chamberlain, at chamber2 at fas.harvard.edu with your name and contact
information.  Margot will work with our graduate students to place
people.  In addition, I attach a list of local accommodations, from B&B
to the finest hotels.

Looking forward to an interesting day and to seeing many of you.

Andrew Gordon

* * * * * * * *

BED & BREAKFAST
A Friendly Inn
1673 Cambridge St.
Cambridge, MA  02138
Telephone: (617) 547-7851
Fax:  (617) 547-7851

The Irving House
24 Irving Street
Cambridge, MA  02138
Telephone:  (617) 547-4600
Fax:  (617) 576-2814

Mary Prentiss Inn        (This is btw. Hvd. Sq. & Porter Sq.)
6 Prentiss Street
Cambridge, MA  02140
Tel:  (617) 661-2929
Fax:  (617) 661-5989

A Cambridge House
2218 Mass. Ave.
Cambridge, MA  02140
Tel:  (617) 491-6300
Fax:  (617) 868-2848

HOTELS (in Harvard Sq.)
The Harvard Square Hotel
110 Mt. Auburn Street
Cambridge, MA  02138
Telephone:  (617) 864-5200

Sheraton Commander Hotel
16 Garden Street
Cambridge, MA  02138-3609
Telephone:  (617) 547-4800
Fax:  (617) 868-8322

The Inn at Harvard(Luxury Hotel)
1201 Massachusetts Avenue
Harvard Square
Cambridge, MA  02138
Telephone:  (617) 491-2222
Fax:  (617) 491-6520

Cambridge Marriott      (Kendall/MIT redline stop is the closest
2 Cambridge Ctr.              T stop.)
Cambridge, MA
(617) 494-6600

The Charles Hotel   (Luxury Hotel)
One Bennet Square
Cambridge, MA 02138
Telephone:  (617) 864-1200
Fax:  (617) 864-5715

Also, in Central Square, Cambridge:
Hotel at MIT
20 Sidney St., Cambridge
(617) 577-0200
www.hotelmit.com

Kendall Hotel (located in the center of Kendall Sq., near MIT)
350 Main St.
Cambridge, MA  02142
(617) 354-3600
www.kendallhotel.com

in Boston near the Charles/MGH Redline stop:

Holiday Inn  (FYI:  this is the hotel near the Mass. Gen.,etc.)
5 Blossom St.
Boston
Telephone:  (617) 742-7630

John Jeffries House       (This is a bed & breakfast)
14 Embankment Rd.   (Right at the beginning of Charles St. near
station.)
Boston, MA
Telephone:  (617) 367-1866

And, if you need more:
Also,
Boston Park Plaza Hotel    (is a large one so may have some special
rates)
64 Arlington St.
Boston, MA
Telephone:  800-225-2008