"Memoirs of a Geisha" in Japan

Hon Wa Chau itchy008 at allvantage.com
Sat Dec 10 15:09:57 EST 2005

Mark,

Having Zhang maintain a pure, virginal burning flame in Sayuri clashes
with other elements of the film. The use an older woman's voice for the
narration is meant to convey Sayuri as a strong survivor, yet by
keeping up her virginal demeanor, Sayuri doesn't mature much from her
childhood days. Suzuka Ohgo's Chiyo has more moxie than Zhang's Sayuri.

Plus, how can anyone virginal concoct a scheme of using a tryst with an
American to disgust Nobu? Sayuri's plan is perhaps the only active
choice she makes. Comparing her character to the element of water —
which carves its own path — makes little sense when she is more like a
floating weed in the film, manipulated by just about every other major
character.

The water analogy may be the most offensive aspect of the movie, since
the filmmakers decided to give Sayuri blue-rimmed irises. They are
especially prominent in the portrait of Zhang used on posters for the
film. What does the poster in Japan look like?

Jason Chau