"Memoirs of a Geisha" in Japan

mark schilling schill at gol.com
Sat Dec 10 00:41:33 EST 2005

Dear Jason Chau,

The version I saw was subbed, the Japanese trailer is subbed and there is no
mention on the Japanese website of a dubbed version. Am I missing something?

Interesting how Kudoh's Pumpkin suddenly springs to life when she becomes a
"pan pan" girl -- and how devitalized Zhang's postwar Sayuri looks by
comparison. It's clear that Marshall "gets" the former character -- who is
as American ( or rather Americanized) as cherry Coke -- far better than the
Orientalist fantasy that is Sayuri.

Zhang Ziyi was totally different in "2046" -- slithery and sexy as hell. But
in "Memoirs" she has to keep that pure, virginal flame burning for the
Chairman -- while letting Gong supply most of the erotic fire (and literal
fire as well).

Best,
Mark Schilling