World Film advice needed!

Kerim Yasar kerimyasar at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 11 13:39:58 EST 2005

Good luck trying to narrow down the Japanese films!
I'm partial to Koreeda myself, and find he plays well
with undergrads.  Further afield, here are a few
random suggestions of films from the last few years:

Kiarostami: ABC Africa, Sokurov: Russian Ark, Tsai
Ming-liang: The River, Im: Chihwaseon, Weerasethakul:
Tropical Malady, Ceylan: Distant, Jia: Platform

A reflection of my own sensibilities, but what else
can I do?  I'm sure others on the list will also give
you some great ideas.

You should definitely also check out back issues of
the Bible of world cinema, the annual Variety
International Film Guide (you can find the current
edition below, although most of the films in the
current edition aren't out on video yet):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1879505819/qid=1134325435/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-2548809-7156822?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

Kerim Yasar