Film copyrights for academic presentations

Wei Ting Jen intewig at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 00:12:48 EST 2005

Hi,

I'm working on my dissertation presentation (最終発表) and about to send off a
presentation abstract to Kinema Club VII, and was wondering if anyone is
familiar with film copyrights on this list.

As part of my presentation, I'm planning to make a short, 15 minute film
which features excerpts from the war films I'm discussing (e.g juxtaposing
some common scenes and symbols from different films). No plans for
commercial release :), purely just to be used for my thesis presentation,
and simply because I like making films.

However, I suspect I might be running into a minefield of potential
copyright problems. I was wondering if anybody out there is familiar with
copyright issues, and can tell me if there are limits on the use of film
footage for academic presentations? These are all war-era Japanese films,
from 1945 and before.

Thank you so much,

Wei Ting

--
"Of course, it was impossible to connect the dots looking forward, You can
only connect them looking backwards, so you have to trust that the dots will