Film copyrights for academic presentations

Kerim Yasar kerimyasar
Fri Dec 16 19:25:54 EST 2005

I think only a copyright lawyer could answer your
question with any real authority, but there does seem
to be a general consensus that use of copyrighted
material (within limits) in an academic presentation
counts as "fair use" because there is no profit
involved and you are not infringing on the market or
sales potential of the copyright holder (I would
frankly think you're doing the exact opposite by
providing free advertising, however small the audience
may be).

This issue came up in a discussion we had following a
video presentation made by a visiting scholar at
Columbia University.  He had made a "Ken Burns-style"
photo-montage documentary and added commercially
recorded music as a soundtrack.  That was a somewhat
more ambiguous case because he wasn't "quoting" the
music to make an educational point, but rather to add
to the aesthetic effect of the video.  The use of the
photos was fine, however--no different in principle
than showing slides at a presentation.

There's a very informative site about copyright and
fair use here:

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/

Kerim Yasar