Yukiko Inoue in Shiota's Canary

Jason Gray loaded_films at yahoo.co.jp
Mon Dec 26 22:55:55 EST 2005

Michael,

It is indeed the same actress. I don't know a lot about
her, but at the FILMeX 2003 screening of Shimizu Hiroshi's
"Japanese Girls at the Harbor" ("Minato no nihon musume,"
1933), everyone was amazed to see her stand up in the
audience and wave, giving a few words. She returned to
FILMeX in 2004 and took the stage with the cast members of
"Canary."

Doing a quick search, found this on the official site for
"Canary." (scroll down to the bottom)

http://www.shirous.com/canary/cast.html

The main points (for those who can't read Japanese or see
Jap. characters)

- Born in 1915.
- She's half Dutch (which I now remember being mentioned
at the Shimizu screening)
- Under the name 鐘一子 / Kane Itsuko (?), she started off
in Shochiku musical plays/operas in Osaka
- For her film debut, she went back to her original name
(Inoue Yukiko), appearing in Ozu's "Bijin aishu" (aka
Beauty's Sorrows) and other films of his
- After appearing in Naruse Mikio's "Kagirinaki hodo"
(Street Without End), she left Shochiku in 1934
- Made a "special appearance" in Toyoda Shirou's
"Tokyo-Osaka tokudane orai" in 1936 before disappearing
from the screen
- Took a little 67-year break until her 2003 public
appearances (the aformentioned Shimizu screening and the
"OZU2003" Symposium)

Maybe someone (Jasper?) who knows about Canary can shed
light on her involvement in that film.

Jason Gray

--- Michael E Kerpan Jr <kerpan at attglobal.net> からのメ
ッセージ: