Three questions about Daisuke Ito

Alexander Jacoby a_p_jacoby at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 4 09:38:15 EDT 2006

Can anyone answer these?

  1) In the thirties, Ito seems to have made quite a number of films dealing with the Bakumatsu period or early Meiji period. These films are now lost. Kinejun says that some of Ito's work was censored in the thirties, but doesn't go into much detail about the political content of the films. Are there any details recorded as to what political attitudes were expressed in these films - what was Ito's attitude towards the Shogunate and the new Imperial dispensation?

  2) Ito made his first postwar jidai-geki, Suronin Makaritoru, as early as 1946. I've seen it and it has scenes of chambara in it and all the things that the Occupation authorities disapproved of. How did he get away with it?

  3) Is Benten Kozo (1958) a remake of Ito's thirties film, The Comb of Oroku? Benten Kozo has a heroine called Oroku and her comb is a significant prop.

  Lastly, not about Ito, but is Kajiro Yamamoto's correct date of death 1973 or 1974. Kinejun has the former which I'm inclined to accept, but the IMDB says the latter so it would be nice to know for sure.

  ALEX