3d CG in recent Japanese anime

J.sharp j.sharp
Wed Dec 13 14:48:20 EST 2006

Dear list members,

Am just writing to inform you that the January 2007 edition (#86) of the
magazine 3D WORLD: THE MAGAZINE FOR 3D ARTISTS (published by Future
Publishing here in the UK, but also available in the US) is featuring a lot
of information about the technical nuts and bolts implementations of several
recent animations from Japan.

I wrote quite a lot for the issue, including interviews/features with the
technical staff for TEKKON KINKREET, TALES FROM EARTHSEA and NEGADON: THE
MONSTER FROM MARS. This latter film is sort of the odd one out here in that
it is the only title covered that uses 3d computer graphics in the orthodox
ways most Western studios are using at the moment.

In fact, the other titles are fascinating in the way that they use 3d CG in
such a way as to disguise it as traditional 2d cel animation (in the case of
Ghibli) or for a completely unique aesthetic in TEKKON KINKREET. I can think
of no comparison with American or European animation studios doing anything
similar at the moment.

The magazine also covers a lot of other stuff from Japan like recent
computer games - interesting here is the PS2 title ROGUE GALAXY, which
renders its graphics as 3d models and then 'cel-shades' them to look like
2d, similar to the technique used in many of the recent animated features
from Japan.

The magazine will also be carrying on its 'Big in Japan' focus for next
month, in a longer article I wroter about Mamoru Oshii's recent TACHIGUI
RETSUDEN, which animated 2d characters created from still photographs as if
they puppets in a 3d theatre.

Those researching animation might well be interested in the methods and the
philosophies Japanese animators are using nowadays - the results are
certainly a lot more intriguing than most of the run-of-the-mill OVER THE
HEDGE-style CG cartoons coming out of Hollywood these days.

for more info see:
www.3dworldmag.com/page/3dworld?entry=3d_world_issue_86_now

Jasper Sharp

--
Midnight Eye: The Latest and Best in Japanese Cinema
www.midnighteye.com

===

Available now in bookstores everywhere:
The Midnight Eye Guide to New Japanese Film (Stone Bridge Press)
by Tom Mes and Jasper Sharp
http://www.midnighteye.com/features/midnighteye_guide.shtml
"Easily one of the most important books on Japanese cinema ever released in
English."
- Newtype USA