Research in Japan? and Self introduction

Ken Shima kenshima at u.washington.edu
Thu Feb 2 11:33:21 EST 2006

Hello I have been a reader of KineJapan for some time and wanted to introduce myself and ask some advice.
      My name is Ken Shima and I am finishing my undergraduate degree at the University of Washington and have been programming an ongoing Japanese Film Series here for the last year and a half. I founded a student organization the UW focused on Japanese cinema which will be continued by new members after I graduate. My programming choices have reflected my own interest in both the Japanese modernist films of the “new wave” as well as the interaction of Japanese literature as portrayed through cinema. At this point I feel the only way to further my studies is to live and study in Japan.
      This summer I would like to move to Japan for a few years to research material for my graduate studies, improve my Japanese language ability, and widen my base of knowledge about Japanese film. I am looking for some advice and information about supporting yourself while doing research in Japan. Does anyone know of internships or research assistant position which would be available for a pre-graduate that allow me to support myself, have time to research, and be involved in the Japanese cinema community.
 	If one is going to Japan to study cinema I assume that being in Tokyo is ideal because of the abundance of theaters and the National Film Archive. However I’m wondering which colleges would be good to look at for cinema studies in Japan. Which professors should I seek out and where are they teaching? How can one see the films held by the film archive? I will be applying to the Monbukagakusho research scholarship in a few months but aside from that was wondering how I might be able to be able to spend my time in Japan focused on cinema instead of teaching English. Does Donald Richie need a lackey?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Ken Shima
Japanese Film Association: Program Director
University of Washington