Onnagata on film

Melek Ortabasi mortabas at hamilton.edu
Fri Jan 27 18:09:59 EST 2006

Hi Anne,

Ohisashiburi! I'm not sure if you want films on the subject of
onnagata, or just films with onnagata in them. I know of a couple
that fit into the latter category.

The silent chambara film, Shibukawa Bangorô (1926, dir. Tsukiyama
Kôkichi), uses oyama for all its female roles.
There's also Mizoguchi's Zangiku monogatari (1939) about a struggling
young Kabuki actor who appears onstage as an onnagata in a couple of
scenes. So a different use here.

Anyway, HTH
Melek

--