J-horror Inquirer article

Jason Gray loaded_films at yahoo.co.jp
Fri Jun 9 06:48:48 EDT 2006

> Japanese horror since the mid-eighties has
> certainly been increasingly
> influenced by Western horror, but that covers a
> multitude of cultural
> backgrounds with no single identity.
>
> With EVIL DEAD TRAP perhaps best representing this
> trend, with its
> Argento-esque music and lighting and Cronenbergian
> imagery.

But when we did the interview with Ikeda, didn't he say he
had never seen an Argento film before doing Evil Dead
Trap?

> describes this as belonging to a gothic tradition
> then very prevalent in
> Italy "with lighting and costumes and modelled on
> the gothic films of Mario
> Bava and Antonio Margeriti". Could this really be
> true? Were Bava's films
> released in Japan in the early 60s?

Some cool newspaper ads for foreign horror that played in
Japan, including Bava's "La maschera del demonio,"
released by "Shochiku Select" in 1961.

http://page.freett.com/aghi/G1.htm

jg