UK Japanese Film Events

J.sharp j.sharp at hpo.net
Mon Oct 2 09:44:14 EDT 2006

Glad you're excited!
We're screening one film from each section, except the Southern Nigerian
section, of which several other films are playing in another venue. The
details are on the website. The main reason for this is screening fees - the
Nigerian films were a lot cheaper, and also, I don't think a Nigerian horror
movie has EVER played the UK before. I've seen the END OF THE WICKED
screener and its pretty wild.

The Japanese East section is only one film, the UK premier, and probable the
only screening of RAMPO NOIR, and we pretty much blew our budget on this one
section. Director Hisayasu Sato will be in attendance, and there'll be an
hour long panel discussion about J-horror, where did it come from, where is
it going and where are we now.

All the films will have the directors present and another speaker. UK critic
and horror buff Kim Newman will also be speaking. I'm pretty excited about
the prospect of gathering Hisayasu Sato, Richard Stanley and the Nigerian
witchcraft actress/scriptwriter in one place!

So its not specifically focussed on Japanese film, but I think the selection
of the four films we are screening is so eclectic, that it will raise some
very interesting questions about the genre and what function it serves in
each country.

Hopefully we'll see you there!

best,

Jasper