Documentary Talks

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Mon Oct 2 21:44:50 EDT 2006

> Since most of these interviews have already been translated and
> published in English, is there any chance of an Engish-language
> version of this book?

It certainly would be nice to have, but it is not easy to get such a
book, especially one covering films largely unavailable outside of
Japan, published abroad. Documentary is still a minor topic and it was
hard enough getting Miraisha to publish this in Japan (it does make me
hope people buy this book so Miraisha and other publishers get more
enthusiastic about documentary history). And even though a lot of
material was published before, the amount of work put into the book was
immense: everything was reedited and annotated, filmographies updated,
new introductions written, etc. etc. A proper English version would
require that much plus rechecking the English translations and doing
new translations of the introductions. I would love it if someone could
do that, but are there any takers?

Finally, a mea culpa: for some bizarre reason Kubota Yukio's name ended
up as "Okubu Tatsuo." I must have been very far off in LaLa Land to
write that! Apologies to Kubota-san for that.

Aaron Gerow
Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363