Nippon ichi!

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Thu Oct 26 20:17:40 EDT 2006

Yesterday, the baseball team based in Sapporo, the Nippon Ham Fighters,
defeated the Chunichi Dragons (from Nagoya), by a score of 4-1, thus
winning their fourth game and the cementing victory in the Japan
Series. Since my wife is from Hokkaido, this is certainly a wonderful
event for us, but you might be asking, why mention this on a film
mailing list?

Well, the last time this team won the Japanese championship was 44
years ago when it had another name: the Toei Flyers. Sound familiar?
Yes, at that time, the team was owned by the Toei Studios, the
producers of Nakamura Kinnosuke samurai movies and all those yakuza
films starring Takakura Ken or directed by Fukasaku Kinji or Kato Tai.
In the days when movies were the king of the entertainment world in
Japan, most of the film studios owned professional baseball teams which
are the ancestors of today's current teams. From what I remember, there
was the Shochiku Robins (now the Yokohama BayStars), the Daiei Unions
(now Chiba Lotte), and perhaps you can say the Hankyu Braves (now the
Orix Buffaloes--Toho is part of the Hankyu group).

So congratulations to the descendants of the Toei Flyers!

Aaron Gerow
KineJapan owner

Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University

For list commands, send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html