broad request for suggestions: recent Japanese films

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 23 13:30:38 EDT 2006

Although I'm probably pinning a target to my back here, but I think there are films from the last thirty-or-so years that bear consideration. In decades to come it may not be spoken of in the same terms as the best of Ozu or Kurosawa, but I think Battle Royale is a landmark Japanese film of recent years. I think it's a significant film in world cinema, let alone Japanese, so I think there's a case for it's inclusion, whether you're focusing on quality or just giving a general overview.

  Jim Harper.

Lewis Cook <lcoqc at earthlink.net> wrote:

After a deliberate hiatus of a few years I'm teaching an informal
(non-technical) course on Japanese film and modern fiction (by
popular demand, in effect). Some of my students are asking why I'm
not screening any films made after around 1970. The answer may very
well be that I haven't been paying enough attention, but I'm not
aware of any films produced in Japan in the past 30 some years that
are of comparable stature to the best of Mizoguchi, Ozu, Kurosawa,
Kobayashi, et al. What am I missing and what should I be seeing? I
don't mean this as a provocation, just asking for suggestions.

Lewis Cook
Associate Professor, Japanese Literature
Queens College, CUNY

http://www.flipsidemovies.com
http://jimharper.blogspot.com