seeking Yamaguchi Yoshiko film

J.sharp j.sharp
Wed Sep 20 07:11:42 EDT 2006

Sorry I can't help you very much here, but Hiroshi Shimizu's Taiwanese-shot
propraganda movie Sayon's Bell / Sayon no Kane is available on video in
Japan, if you go to places like Tsutaya in Shinjuku or Shibuya. I am not
sure how much else of this kind of thing was ever released on video, or is
in fact even extant. But Sayon's Bell is pretty interesting. There's an
essay about the film in the Wallflower press book 24 Frames: Japan and
Korea, written by Stephanie DeBoer.
Later films like Kurosawa's Scandal are easy enough to find.

I am excited, yet at the same time a bit dismayed to hear Buruma is working
on a book about Yamaguchi - she is a fascinating character, and a really
interesting entry point into a little understood period of history, yet at
the same time I was thinking about writing something about her myself, so am
a little peeved to hear Ian Buruma has got there first - and Buruma's
writing, though witty and readibly and usually filled with facts, is not
completely bereft of more orientalist elements.

Any idea when the book will be published?

Hope this helps,

Jasper

--
Midnight Eye: The Latest and Best in Japanese Cinema
www.midnighteye.com

===

Available now in bookstores everywhere:
The Midnight Eye Guide to New Japanese Film (Stone Bridge Press)
by Tom Mes and Jasper Sharp
http://www.midnighteye.com/features/midnighteye_guide.shtml
"Easily one of the most important books on Japanese cinema ever released in
English."
- Newtype USA