Video/Cinema vs Stage terminogy

Mark D. Roberts mroberts37
Mon Aug 20 14:16:49 EDT 2007

Hi Bruce,

On Aug 21, 2007, at 12:51 AM, Bruce Baird wrote:
> Do you use the word "frame" even when in practice you are watching
> a succession of frames which creates the illusion of movement?

Generally, I would say yes.

Others may chime in to correct me or offer a better suggestion/
explanation, but here's how I understand it:

The word "frame" actually has two meanings here: it can either mean a
single image in a succession of images (as you suggest), or it can
mean the rectangular boundary established by the camera, that
delimits what is filmed from what isn't. When I refer to something
"in the upper left hand corner of the frame" and I'm talking about
something in the space being filmed (an actor, a prop, a bit of
scenery, etc.), I'm using the second meaning.

The idea here is that I'm referring to something as it appears
relative to a boundary that we call "the frame". The frame is really
what defines the image for us, and there is a whole related
discussion about "framing", its narrative functions, etc.

Of course, I could also say "screen" but that refers more to the
physical object that receives the projected image (in the case of
film) or the object that emits the image (in the case of a CRT/LCD
monitor). There isn't any secondary meaning related to how the camera
was positioned/adjusted to show things in a certain way. For people
who make use of psychoanalysis, "screen" also has a distinct meaning
related to the gaze and self-recognition (from Lacan), but I assume
we're not staying into that territory here. ;-)

For me, the difference is this: when I speak of "the frame" I am
speaking about both something that was filmed, and how it was framed
for us by the filmmaker/cinematographer. When I speak of "the
screen", the meaning is really more about my experience as a
spectator, about looking at some physical object which carries the
image of the film (compare "framing" to "screening"). It depends
which nuance is desired, of course, but if I want to draw attention
to how something was presented by the filmmaker, then I'm really
talking about framing.

HTH,

Mark