Video/Cinema vs Stage terminogy

Bruce Baird baird at
Mon Aug 20 11:51:50 EDT 2007

Mark (and others),

Do you use the word "frame" even when in practice you are watching a  
succession of frames which creates the illusion of movement? So its  
not really the case that something is happening in the upper left  
hand corner of a frame (which is a single moment in time), but that  
something appears to be happening.



On Aug 19, 2007, at 12:24 AM, Mark D. Roberts wrote:

> On Aug 19, 2007, at 12:20 PM, Bruce Baird wrote:
>> If you need to refer to something in the upper left hand corner of  
>> the screen, do you just say simply that?
> I've read criticism that says this, yes. The only modification I  
> would make is to say "frame" instead of "screen".
> Cheers,
> M

Bruce Baird
Assistant Professor
Asian Languages and Literatures
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Butô, Japanese Theater, Intellectual History

717 Herter Hall
161 Presidents Drive
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Amherst, MA 01003-9312
Phone: 413-577-4992
Fax: 413-545-4975
baird at

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

More information about the KineJapan mailing list