Re: Tenkô in Japanese film ?

Alex Bates alebates
Sun Aug 26 09:10:08 EDT 2007

Many consider Endo Shusaku's Chinmoku (Silence) as an allegory of
prewar tenko.  There is a film version: Chinmoku (1971) by Shinoda
Masahiro and talk that Martin Scorsese has another one in the works.
Chinmoku is about a priest who renounces his religion under pressure
from the Tokugawa government in the 1600's.

Alex Bates
Assistant Professor
East Asian Studies
Dickinson College