Re: Tenkô in Japanese film ?

Mark D. Roberts mroberts37
Sun Aug 26 21:40:06 EDT 2007

Dear Michael, Mathieu, and others,

Thanks very much for all of your enlightening comments. I had thought
of Kurosawa, and Oshima's "Night and Fog", the latter being one of
the reasons why I was curious about pre-1960 films. Also, Oshima's
film touches on this but seems more concerned with disillusionment
and analysis of "internal" failure.

Tsurumi indeed is the main source for analysis, though I'm not sure
if he discusses the phenomenon of "mass tenk?". It seems there is not
so much in the field in film studies, though. On this point, Richie's
"Art and Industry" is somewhat critical of Imai Tadashi for his shift
from left to right to left, but Richie doesn't really acknowledge
what was involved in tenk?. He treats it as a lack of political
conviction on the part of the individual, and makes little or no
mention of practices of coercion. In a more recent book review,
Yomota remarks that Peter High's book received a mixed reception in
part because of some ongoing resistance to discuss tenk?.

Based upon a very brief survey of this, my impression is that the
generation of directors who began working in the late 1950s were
perhaps the first with the liberty to openly treat topic this in
their films.

Again, thanks much for your thoughts about this.

Best,

M. Roberts