English speakers

Jonathan M. Hall jmhall at uci.edu
Wed May 9 14:41:47 EDT 2007

I'd also like to second Stefan's suggestion that, in general, we pay
better attention to funding interpreters and translators, though
often it's not sexy enough to win the support of funders and
interpreting does take valuable time in an event.  (Forgive me if I
seem pedantic here, but in my understanding, one "interprets" spoken
language and "translates" the written.)  When I worked as a volunteer
interpreter for the Japanese gay activist group OCCUR, which had sent
a delegation to the European-based International Lesbian & Gay
Association conference, I really was astounded by the sheer anger and
irritation the group incurred when it simply demanded the time
necessary in the proceedings for consecutive interpreting.  Most film
events lack the resources for simultaneous interpreters, and both
audiences and organizers seem to get irritated when time is spent in
languages they can't understand. So my call is for not just a
financial generosity but a linguistic one as well.

My comments are not a criticism of the Bradford event. It sounds
promising.

jonathan

-----
Jonathan M. Hall
Japanese Film, Media, and Modern Literature
Assistant Professor, Comparative Literature / Film & Media Studies

320 Humanities Instructional Building
UC Irvine, Irvine CA 92697-2651 USA
office: 1-949-824-9778
fax: 1-949-824-1992

Co-Chair, Queer Caucus, Society for Cinema and Media Studies