Sato Makoto & Abusive Subtitling

Jerry Turner jdturner1
Tue Jun 10 16:50:02 EDT 2008

I find translation studies truly interesting. It can really make or break my
experience reading or watching a work.

Recently, I read the two novels by Natsuo Kirino available in English, *Out*and
*Grotesque*. I found the translation in one to be really well done, meaning,
the characters actually conversed with each other how one would think. The
other novel . . . . Well, let's just say the dialog was a tad stiff.
I actually started to wonder how much of the translation fueled my dislike
for the latter.