AW: Kamikaze Girls

Roland Domenig roland.domenig
Mon Jun 30 03:17:53 EDT 2008

Thank you for mentioning the new edition of the Minikomi, Alex. As editor of the journal I must "correct" you, however, insofar as that the article will be downloadable in a few years ahead. The Minikomi is a printed medium which will go online after 5 years. Whoever is interested in the article, jowever, is invited to order an issue.
I take this opportunity to make a little promotion for the latest edition, which is dedicated to the topic "popular culture". All four articles of this issue are somehow related to film. Except for the very interesting article of Alex about Kadokawa Eiga, which is in German, are all other articles in English. Fabio Gygi analyzes Godzilla as symbol of repressed memory, Silvia Tartarini looks at the recent manga-controversy between Japan and Korea, and Anne McKnight's explores at the "baroqueske" in the film adaptation of Shimotsuma monogatari (Kamikaze Girls) and in Ikeda Riyoko's manga Rose of Versailles.

MINIKOMI Nr. 75:
"POPULAR CULTURE"

04     Editorial

05     Fabio GYGI
         Mnemonic Monsters. Memory, Oblivion and Continuity in Japanese Popular Culture.

13     Alex ZAHLTEN
         Aliens, zeitreisende Schulm?dchen und der radikalisierte Text. Zur Bedeutung der
         Filmproduktion aus dem Hause Kadokawa.

20     Silvia TARTARINI
         A reconsideration of Japanese-Korean conflicts and relations as seen through comics.
         The case of Kenkanryu/ Hyomillyu.

28     Anne McKNIGHT
         Princesses and Revolution: The European Interfaces to Japanese Subculture,
         from the 1970s to the Millenium.

38     Authors

Minikomi is the journal of the AAJ ( Austrian Japan-Society for Science and Art) and can be ordered through its homepage www.aaj.at

Roland Domenig
Austrian Japan-Society for Science and Art
Institute of East Asian Studies, Vienna University