JF Waste?

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Thu Dec 3 18:44:20 EST 2009

Just a quick update on the JF "scandal":

"Asazuba", the main morning show on TBS hosted by Mino Monta, just did
a big story on the JF problem. Most of it was what I reported, but
they did add a few things:

1) They interviewed Terawaki Ken, the former Ministry of Education
official and member of the JF film selection board who, instead of
defending the selection of pink films (which was actually not raised
in the report, thank god; Terawaki is an expert on pink films, by the
way), complained that the JF never asked them to rate films according
to their appropriateness for showing in different countries. They were
just asked to rate them class A to D.

2) They interviewed the former ambassador to Lebanon who made an
important point: that cultural affairs people in the Foreign Ministry
are the lowest of the low in the bureaucratic hierarchy and good work
in such a position is considered irrelevant to career advancement.
(This this reflects how much the Foreign Ministry cares about culture,
as well as how much expertise in Japanese film is considered
meaningless by the Japanese government.)

What concerns me most, however, is the continued media exposure of the
JF. With the government workshop recently asking for a total
rethinking of the JF, and with Mino Monta, one of the most popular TV
hosts in Japan, blasting the organization, I would not be surprised if
the Japan Foundation disappears altogether. That will probably not
happen, but the JF as we know it now is gone for sure. This will
likely have a significant effect on some of our projects.

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363