A Japanese Tragedy ... with subtitles

Nornes, Markus amnornes at umich.edu
Thu Dec 3 17:47:08 EST 2009

When it comes to prints of famous war films, it's always worth checking out Japan-America Film Wars. This is the English version of a Yamagata Film Festival catalog I edited with Fukushima Yukio. Not many people noticed this, but I supplied print sources for everything we showed. Look at the index, and gives initials for the source-addresses in the section just before the index. Like this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=CPxGjzivFTAC&pg=PP1&dq=Japan-America+Film+Wars&ei=Uj4YS7j3LqayNeHs8OwB&client=safari#v=onepage&q=7%2C%20160&f=false

According to this, you can find prints at Japan Foundation and the National Film Center. If it's at JF, then it's got subs (and if it's at NFC you'd likely need to have a FIAF connection to acquire the print-probably).

Now I'm embarrassed to discover that the "J" in this index entry is missing the print source! But it should mean Japan Foundation.

Markus