Ikeru Isu

Jeff Hunter jeff-h at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 25 15:36:13 EST 2009

Hi--

I'm a translator working on a novel that mentions, in passing, the
1945 film Ikeru Isu (行ける椅子), directed by Akira Nobuchi and
starring Tsumasabuo Bando and Mieko Takamine. In order to choose a
good title in translation, it would help to know what the film is
about.  Does anyone know?  It could, I suppose, be a film version of
Edogawa Rampo's Ningen Isu (人間椅子), but I have no way of knowing
that for sure.

I've found newspaper ads for it and other factual citations on the
Internet, but nothing giving me any hint of the story.  Without
knowing that, I hesitate a direct translation like The Living Chair.

I don't have access to the right issues of Eiga Junpo.  I'm in the
States right now.

Jeff