Title translation query

Michael Kerpan mekerpan at verizon.net
Wed Aug 25 19:49:10 EDT 2010

Dear Michael --

Thanks for the feedback.

The film involves preparation of young men for military service and preparation of civilians for the their home front responsibilities (and for parting with loved ones).

Lots of documentary (or pseudo-documentary) footage of rallies, parades. (Stars Takashi Shimura. Susumu Fujita aKazuo Hasegawa, Yuriko Hanabusa nd Isuzu Yamada, among many others).  The cast suggests this was a fairly high-profile project.  One wonders why Naruse passed on directing this himself.

Michael Kerpan