Translation strategies in subtitling

Claudia Anderson 204172 at soas.ac.uk
Mon Feb 22 19:09:49 EST 2010

Dear all,

I am currently researching into the differing translation strategies used in
subtitle translation of Japanese film (from Japanese-English, but also
looking at English-Japanese examples) and more specifically how this has
changed over time in the second half of the 20th century. Abe Mark Nornes'
"Cinema babel" has provided a very useful introduction to this, such as with
the emergence of the concept of 'abusive translation', 'foreignised
translation' and how translations can be used to alter cultural discourse of
which a film is the medium. I ask as to what other literature there is on
the research translation strategies and techniques in cinema subtitling
(more specifically in Japanese film) and its evolution over time.

Regards,

Claudia