Japan and Cult

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 15 17:13:56 EST 2010

I think the question of what is 'cult' is generally informed by genre and audience factors within its country of origin. Sion Sono's Exte is essentially a cult film for both non-Japanese and domestic audiences, but I think there are few non-Japanese film fans who would consider Shall We Dance? a cult film. It might only reach a small non-Japanese audience, but it certainly has the potential to find mainstream success (as it did). A lot of Japanese films certainly qualify as 'cult' items, but by no means all.

Jim.