question regarding early archives and Japanese film

Quentin Turnour Quentin.Turnour at nfsa.gov.au
Tue Feb 9 03:56:39 EST 2010

I was directed to Junko Ogihara's piece at the time and it was very
helpful. Except that I wanted to know more, especially after hearing some
fascinating background to how the Pacific Film Archive at Berkeley
acquired its many of its post-war Japanese prints as the Californian
offices of the Japanese studios began to shut in the 1970s.

>>From what I have heard of the NFC story, the seed of its collection were
films confiscated in Japan in the post-war period and taken back to the
LoC, not from US local sources; but that is anacdotal information and
perhaps misunderstood from a conversation with one of its curators.

Roger, to answer your question: very small, a few thousand concentrated
around the Northern Australian Pearl Fishing industry centres of Broome
and the Torres Strait Islands. One of the sub-plots of the Treaty of
Versailles negotiations in 1919 was Australia's then very Prime Minister
Billy Hughes protecting the White Australia Policy and feuding with
Woodrow Wilson over pressure from the Japanese (then allies, of course) to
allow Japanese emigration to the South Pacific. Shamefully, all
Japanese-Australians (including some born in Australia) were interned and
then forcibly repatriated back to Japan in around 1946. A few of these
families later returned in the 60s and there are still some curious
community links which surface from time to time, especially through
intermarriage with indigenous Australians. For example, Broome happens to
have a long-standing sister town relationship with Taiji south of Osaka
and its very mutlit-cultural community was recently very badly divided
over the blow-back from THE COVE and the current Antarctic Ocean whaling
'wars'.

Has any research been done on Latin-American Japanese diasporic screen
culture? In Spanish? Also of interest might be Japanese homeland cinema
films about the disapora. I have heard a little of the pre-WW2 campaigns
encouraging emigration to South America and potentially even to British
colonial SE Asia and the Pacific; Wasn't there a 1930s national policy
promoting emigration to the Southern Hemisphere, with a title that
translates as something like "Under the Southern Cross"?

As a slight aside to all this: I remember being slack-jawed when I first
saw the NFC's print of the 1912 Nobu Shirase Antarctic Expedition Film and
its scenes of the arrival home of the expedition vessel to Yokohama.
Shirase's party are greeted by crowds waving +-shaped Southern Cross
flags. The signification was completely bewildering: to an Australian the
flags were identical to ones most here assume are exclusively the 'Eureka'
flag, of Australia's traditional nationalist (and very Japanese-phobic)
19th c independance movement. Only later did someone who knew a little of
Japanese emigration history suggest that the Southern Cross flag might
have a very different meaning in early 20th century Japan.

Quentin Turnour, Programmer,
Access, Research and Development
National Film and Sound Archive, Australia

"Roger Macy" <macyroger at yahoo.co.uk>
Sent by: owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
09/02/2010 12:56 AM
Please respond to
KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu

<KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu>
cc

Subject
Re: question regarding early archives and Japanese film

The main account on West Coast Japanese cinema circuits of the period
still seems to be The Exhibition of Films for Japanese Americans in Los
Angeles During the Silent Era by Junko Ogihara, 1990 in Film History 4:
pp81-87.  I seem to recall that Junko herself was able to answer a similar
query on this list a few years back.  I would love to hear that more work
had been done.  We are talking of California !

The literature persistently refers to 'captured Japanese films'.  But, as
Markus has raised, captured from whom, when and where ?   The numerous
accounts I have read on Capra's outfit just refer to the films' arriving.
Rotha, in his appendix to the 1952 (3rd edtn.) The Documentary Film, gives
an account of Iris Barry (she, again) as the central figure, providing
much information to him, and it is possible that a trawl of the Rotha
papers might pull something in.  But given the total lack of Asian focus
of either writer, and that I haven't had a sniff of Japanese films coming
through New York, it hasn't seemed worth a transatlantic trip to prove
another negative.  In the brief time I had at the National Archives in
Washington, it didn't seem difficult to find inventories and
correspondence on captured German and Italian films, but I drew a blank on
the provenance of Japanese films.  They appeared very soon after Pearl
Harbor, when the allies were far from capturing or liberating any
Japanese-held territories.  Some may have acquired from hastily-abandoned
Japanese institutions in the west, but I have seen no evidence that such
organisations were propagating or widely exhibiting information films, let
alone feature films.

So does 'captured' mean 'not paid for' ?   Were some, or most of these
confiscated from Americans who entered camps ?  I suppose it would matter
whether the films were rented, or owned outright by their contemporary
holders, as to a fair categorisation.  Impounded or looted ?

And the other U.S place to do research is Hawaii ...

Quentin, I am inferring from your posting that there was no pre-war
Japanese-Australian community.  But has anyone looked at the possibility
of Japanese film exhibition in South America ?

Roger