KINEJAPAN digest 2867

Sarah Frederick sfred at bu.edu
Thu Mar 11 12:01:54 EST 2010

Thank you all so much.  This is very helpful.

Just to be more clear: The texts I'm talking about are Shashin
Shousetsu in magazines like Shufunotomo and Fujin kouron, about which
I am publishing an article in Positions. So the photographer is often
the magazine studio, and the magazines gave permission thankfully.
There is also text by fiction writers, and I dealt with that to the
extent that they are reachable or died fewer than 50 years ago.

But for some reason, I just didn't really think about the subjects of
the photos who are marked as being studio actors and credited.  In a
sense, you could think of these as being like film stills because
they are part of a narrative, but the whole texts only have 10 pages
or so, so I could not argue that it is only 5%, which as per Kristin
Tompson's argument for free use of film stills.  The writers' guild
in Japan looked at the images and my article and agreed that this
would be "inyou" so that is great. But they also felt I needed
permission of the photograph subjects though I've gotten nowhere on
their whereabouts - Eiga nenkan might yield something, so that's
helpful.  I feel I need to do what I can, and also give _Positions_ a
good account of what I've tried and how they might think of this
legally.  I have worked on the permissions for this rather
complicated case for so long, and even published a couple of these
images in my book,  but somehow I didn't really think about the
subjects in the photographs as such until quite recently.  Shouchiku
confirmed that if these were images from a film, only their
permission would be necessary, but if it were, say, a portrait of Ozu
they would ask his family.  This case is sort of in between it seems
to me since the subjects in the photo were knowingly posing for a
widely distributed text with its own "author" (the author of the
accompanying text) and photographer. Some people at Toei are also
thinking about this for me too.  One made reference to "koe wo
kakeru" to the families - supporting Aaron's sense of this being
courtesy.  Most of the actors are not widely known, though people on
this list know them them - generally people in 10-20 films between
late 1920s and 70s.  I sort of avoided, and happened to find less
interesting, the shashin shousetsu with high profile people like Hara
Setsuko and Takamine Hideko,

For those not familiar with it, quite helpful on Japan-related image
use and permission acquisition is this site: http://
www.fas.harvard.edu/~ncc/imageuse/index.html     They even have some
bilingual templates for permission letters.

Sarah