Ghost Cat and the Mysterious Shamisen

Roger Macy macyroger at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Nov 20 16:50:44 EST 2011

A few words about Ushihara's 'The Ghost Cat and the Mysterious Shamisen', Kaibyō nazo no shamisen, 1938 that is on this week at the ICA in London.  Not knowing anything about it until I saw it today, I had no idea how strongly theatrical the film is.  It's a play-within-a-play where the boundaries get blurred.  We start outside an Edo-period theatre and move quickly in to the performance.  It looked to me like proper kabuki - stage, hanamachi, full orchestra, costumes, dance, etc. - except that this has starring actresses (with actors).  I interpret that - and I'm happy to be corrected - as the same kind of liberties with period as contemporary Hollywood would have made to get their stars into costume.
But I don't think that seeming anachronism stops it being a very important record of some extended theatrical performance, as well as being a film with considerable merit - and no sentimental Ushihara here.
It was projected from DigiBeta from a NFC print that showed the kind of degradation with which we are familiar for the period - over-copied, with intermediate contrast lost.  Just occasionally on fades to black, you could pick up the finer detail that must have been there.  I wonder whether a digital restoration could find that again without pulling the light and dark into grey mist?  At any rate, you could see far more than from the BFI print of another theatrical film of the same time 'Late Chrysanthemum'.  And 'Ghost Cat' was also far better translated than that dreadful print.
It's showing again on Thursday (by which time I had planned to be in Vienna ...)

I thought I'd mention the theatrical character of the film as it doesn't seem to be picked up by anyone in the English literature, or on this list when we've looked at treatments of theatre in Japanese film.
Roger