Times reviews I Wish

Mark Roberts mroberts37 at mail-central.com
Sun May 13 19:13:11 EDT 2012

On May 13, 2012, at 6:32 PM, Roger Macy wrote:

> Is the child-splitting just a necessary requirement for the story - or does such a practice have some currency in Japan ?  Koreeda, after all, is hardly a stranger to such issues in his films.  Perhaps he addressed that at a Q&A ?

Unfortunately, nobody asked about this at the Q & A that I attended, though it would have been interesting to hear his response.

Maria-Jose's observations help to account for the situation depicted in the film, though they also raise a further question about how Kore-eda got from a script about young romance to what we find in "I Wish". That's quite a reworking of the original theme. I wonder if there were other conditions on the funding, aside from the obvious desire for a story that involves JR bringing people together.