[KineJapan] translation of gurabia

Markus Nornes nornes at umich.edu
Sun Jul 15 22:18:18 EDT 2018

This question brought me back to my high school newspaper days when I was
the photographer. I was given two pages every issue for a montage of images
on some theme.

We called them “photo spreads,” “spread” bring the official lingo for two
facing pages. I think it would be a good translation for you. I have used
it.

However, I think it’s more complicated. The term gravure is actually short
for “rotogravure.” I remember the  newspapers back in high school were
using this process, too. Unlike moveable type, the image was basically
engraved on a curved, stiff surface. What I saw was some kind of cardboard.
This enabled relatively high quality image printing, and I suspect that is
why it was grouped in one section back in the prewar period. They were
literally using multiple printing technologies. It’s been my assumption, at
least.

Thing is, I think you need to decide whether to achaicize your translation
or not. You haven’t said if it’s a contemporary or prewar pub. If it’s the
latter, the common terms in the us for this were gravure and rotos.  My
choice, especially for an old publication, would be to use “gravure” with a
short description/definition on (only) the first mention.

Markus

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 9:16 AM Jonathan M Hall <jonathanmarkhall at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thank you to John and to Aaron for these suggestions and comments. They're
> very helpful, as always. I've been increasingly interested in the variable
> cross-overs between film and photo cultures.
>
> Photo section may be the way for me to go.  I'm hesitant to use gravure
> itself unless I find it describing the US context, too.  I'd be more
> inclined to follow Aaron's suggestion if the focus were solely Japanese,
> but in this case, the materials at hand are Japanese, but also American too.
>
> Pinups, in my understanding, often came out of magazines, but the sense I
> have is they were one photo per page. In (American) English, we can refer
> to photo spreads, but this is the case when the image/s cross two adjacent
> sides (a side is half a page.)
>
> I'll peruse some writing about film fan magazines and report back if I
> find something that may be useful.  Otherwise, thank you very much! I guess
> this short conversation can come to a close.
>
> Jonathan
>

> On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 4:44 PM, Gerow Aaron <aaron.gerow at yale.edu> wrote:
>
>> Perhaps the solution is just to use the Japanese. At least on the English
>> Wikipedia, people have long been using “gravure idols” to refer to the
>> models being photographed. One thus sees English language stories just
>> using “gravure” to refer to the photo spreads.
>>
>> Ex:
>> https://medium.com/@jkalman233/the-line-that-continues-to-be-crossed-gravure-in-japan-aa5f71882037
>>
>> I would not use bromide (or sometime promide) because, as John said, they
>> are sold separately. And they are largely passé.
>>
>> Aaron
>>

>> Aaron Gerow
>> Professor
>> Film and Media Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
>> Yale University
>> 320 York Street, Room 311
>> PO Box 208324
>> New Haven, CT 06520-8324
>> USA
>> Phone: 1-203-432-7082
>> Fax: 1-203-432-6729
>> e-mail: aaron.gerow at yale.edu
>> website: www.aarongerow.com

---

*Markus Nornes*
*Professor of Asian Cinema*
Department of Screen Arts and Cultures, Department of Asian Languages and
Cultures, Penny Stamps School of Art & Design

*Department of Screen Arts and Cultures*
*6348 North Quad*
*105 S. State Street*
*Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1285*