[KineJapan] Fw: Sheffield Doc/Fest programme announcement, 2019, including a New/Japan focus

Markus Nornes nornes at umich.edu
Thu May 9 08:43:19 EDT 2019

The Big House is most definitely a co-production! And it’s very much a Soda
film.

Markus

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 8:23 PM Roger Macy via KineJapan <
kinejapan at mailman.yale.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
> Sheffield Docfest this year has a 'New/Japan focus'. I'll paste below the
> relevant part of the press release. I'm not sure whether Markus and
> Kazuhiro Soda would have chosen to put their Michigan film under that, but
> there it is. As I write, the schedule looks like a work-in-progress. I
> would expect many of the films to have two slots.
> Roger
>
> Sheffield Doc/Fest 2019 country focus strand, *New/Japan, *supported by Daiwa
> Foundation and Sasakawa Foundation  showcases a new wave of stories and
> images from Japanese filmmakers, from the intimate and familial lens to the
> abstract and subversive. In artist-filmmaker *Makino Takashi’*s practice
> the abstract is drawn out of the real through the layering of images,
> flickers of light and the perpetual movement of dots and grains, as shown
> in *Memento Stella *(UK premiere), which combines up to 200 layers at any
> one time, redefining screen space and feels deeper the closer audiences
> focus their eyes. Shot by *Kazuhiro Soda, *Markus Nornes and Terri Sarris
> against the backdrop of the 2016 election and the rise of Donald Trump, *The
> Big House *(UK premiere) presents a microcosm of America at this Michigan
> stadium, by showing everything but the game. In *Norie *(UK premiere)
> artist-filmmaker *Yuki Kawamura* embarks on a road-trip with his father
> to talk to the people who knew his late mother. Science fiction and desire
> collide when an American researcher meets a Japanese translator in *A
> Tiny Place Is Hard to Touch *(UK premiere) directed by artist-filmmaker
> Shelly Silver.
>

> Other shorts in New/Japan are: Chiemi Shimada’s *Chiyo *(World premiere)
> *,* warm and sensuous 16mm portrait of her grandmother, Chiyo, sharing
> dreams and reality from her home in the Japanese suburbs; Rei Hayama’s*
> The Pearl of Tailorbird *(World premiere), originally a multi sound and
> visual installation, these short-form videos are anchored by a haunting
> soundscape in which Hayama imitates the speech of various local birds in
> her own voice; *Mountain Plain Mountain *(UK premiere), a
> behind-the-scenes observation of Ban’ei, a rare kind of draft horse race
> that takes place only in Obihiro, Japan, directed by Yu Araki and Daniel
> Jacoby.

---

*Markus Nornes*
*Professor of Asian Cinema*
Department of Film, Television and Media, Department of Asian Languages and
Cultures, Penny Stamps School of Art & Design

*Department of Film, Television and Media*
*6348 North Quad*
*105 S. State Street*
*Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1285*