[KineJapan] New Publication: The Culture of the Sound Image in Prewar Japan

Michael Raine raine.michael.j at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 00:34:29 EST 2020

Johan Nordström and I are pleased to announce the publication of *The
Culture of the Sound Image in Prewar Japan*, an anthology on the transition
to sound in Japanese cinema. We're fortunate to have some terrific
contributions from established and emerging Japanese scholars of the
period. It's expensive but I hope the book can find its way into libraries
and some personal collections. I've pasted the table of contents below.

The Culture of the Sound Image in Prewar Japan
Table of Contents

Introduction / Michael Raine and Johan Nordström
1. A Genealogy of kouta eiga: Silent Moving Pictures with Sound / Sasagawa
Keiko
2. Katsutaro's Trilogy: Popular Song and Film in the Transitional Era from
Silent Film to the Talkie / Hosokawa Shuhei
3. Japanese Cinema and the Radio: The Sound Space of Unseen Cinema / Niita
Chie
4. Architecture of Sound: The Modernization of Cinematic Space in Japan /
Ueda Manabu
5. 'No Interpreter, Full Volume': the Benshi and the Sound Transition in
1930s Japan / Michael Raine
6. The Image of the Modern Talkie Film Studio: Aesthetics and Technology at
P.C.L. / Johan Nordström
7. The Dawn of the Talkies in Japan: Mizoguchi Kenji's Hometown / Nagato
Yohei
8. The Early talkie frame in Japanese cinema / Itakura Fumiaki

The publisher's page is at:
https://www.aup.nl/en/book/9789089647733/the-culture-of-the-sound-image-in-prewar-japan
There's a link on that page to a flyer and a pdf of the introductory
chapter, which I've also attached to this email. If you know anyone who
would be interested, please let them know!

The book is available to order at:
https://www.aup.nl/en/book/9789089647733/the-culture-of-the-sound-image-in-prewar-japan
;
and in the US at:
http://shop.btpubservices.com/Title/9789089647733.
There's a 20% off code that can be used at checkout: Pub_SoundImage.

Best,

Michael Raine, Western University, Canada
co-editor, Journal of Japanese and Korean Cinema