[KineJapan] Stills from Tōhō

quentin turnour unkleque at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 8 21:32:42 EDT 2024

 A question, because I'm not over Japanese copyright law, and haven't fully read or understood what's at https://www.cric.or.jp/english/clj/cl2.html : Many countries have 1952 or so as a cut-off date for PD, as the Berne agreement makes it a date. Is NHK's use of 1953 related to that?
>From what I know Japan has on paper pretty standard 'fair dealing' IP law, not 'fair use' (as is the USA), and also has moral rights which mean 'authors' who died after 1967 have rights for 70 years after death (and AK died in 1998, of course). This seemed to be the case from a partially-English forum on Japanese copyright law and cinema at Yamagata maybe 10 years back. Fair dealings is a tighter IP environment, which is why the US can have the Internet Archive and most other nations nothing like it. However, the additional issue often talked about here is the annoying risk-adverse legal, corporate and public-culture environment in Japan. So whatever the law says, or reforms reported (https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Media-Entertainment/Japan-to-allow-freer-sharing-of-content-with-obscure-copyrights) actually behaviour is another thing.
In the US, IP risk-taking tends gets tested in the courts. Can anyone thing of recent Japanese legal cases where IP law boundaries related to cultural production get tested, such as with the Internet Archive's recent fight with the US publishing industry?
Quentin Turnour

    On Thursday, 9 May 2024 at 09:26:37 am AEST, Markus Nornes via KineJapan <kinejapan at mailman.yale.edu> wrote:

 J-Flicks on NHK World has told me something akin to what Jasper wrote. They are starting a classics bit for each episode now, and I'll be doing the first batch. They are keen on big, famous directors (Ozu again), and 1953 is their cut-off date. I find their willingness to take the public domain rule refreshing.
But when I suggested doing pre-1953 Kurosawa they immediately said no. The family was aggressive and problematic. It isn't worth the predictable fight.
Markus

---
Markus NornesProfessor of Asian Cinema

Department of Film, Television and Media, Department of Asian Languages and Cultures, Penny Stamps School of Art & Design

Homepage: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~nornes/
Department of Film, Television and Media
6348 North Quad
105 S. State Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1285

In defense of Toho, I believe they are more circumspect with publicity materials like stills for the films of Kurosawa and Honda due to issues with the estates of these directors. That aside, as with any of the major studios, if you ask for image production permissions or access, they'll quote some outlandish fee, just because of inhouse bureaucracy and the fact they've got bigger fish to fry. I've no contact myself at Toho, but I suspect if you did try, they'd probably ignore or dismiss your request and you are probably better off asking Kawakita instead- who in my experience have more stills for most films than the studios do themselves.