permits and private land

Ted Ryznar tryznar at mail.cosmosbbs.com
Fri Aug 29 21:45:47 EDT 1997

At 01:16 PM 8/28/97 -0400, Mark Walker wrote:
>Landowning folks I know are really concerned most about sounding
environmental
>alarms.  They haven't had a real problem with my collecting, they just don't
>want me to identify their property as the collecting site.  Interesting
>behavior - certainly not the optimal response.  Seems like there should be a
>solution where everyone wins.
>
>Ted Ryznar wrote:
>
>> After a while you just dont want
>> to hear anybodies stories about why they should use your land for free. If
>> you want to play in the country --buy a piece of it.
>
>I can understand the sentiment here, but for a collector it's a bit
depressing.
> As a famous race car driver once said, 'Can't we all just get along?'.  The
>only thing worse than the government outlawing collecting on public lands is
>for private entities to buy and fence it all up.  Buying my own lots is just
>not economically feasible.  Too many habitats to consider.  As a
compromise, I
>agree with James Kruse - collecting on private lands is still an easy
thing to
>do through good communication.
>
>Mark Walker.
>
>I also agree with the method Jim Kruse uses with private land owners.
HOWEVER, it is not done very often.  Myself as well as many other
landowners I know would be thrilled with such polite behavior. The only
time anyone ever asked me is when they wanted to build a deer stand in a 3
foot diameter maple tree. My response was that he was welcome to hunt there
but no deer stands in the trees. I explained how nails in trees are very
dangerous for sawmills if they hit them accidentally. The response I
received was much cursing and I was told how they hunted that land since
they were kids and how dare I tell them they couldnt put a deer stand
there. that land is now posted. If everyone followed the method Jim Kruse
uses to access private lands maybe we could all get along.

                                      Ted Ryznar
                                      tryznar at mail.cosmosbbs.com