Mr. Teobaldelli incident

Neil Jones Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Fri Sep 5 02:48:37 EDT 1997

In message <970829232126_724008273 at emout06.mail.aol.com> Pavulaan at aol.com writes:

> I do not condone collecting illegally in National Parks, but perhaps
> collecting permits should be as easy to obtain as fishing or hunting permits.

Surely the crux of the collectors arguement is that it is done for science not
for fun where as hunting and fishing are purely recreational.
It only seems reasonable that you should need scientific permits for scientific
work.

>  On the spot, at the park office.  Not via the usual months-long process of
> obtaining a scientific permit, with all it's restrictions and requirements.
>  The revenue from such permits can be used for habitat conservation.  I often
> find it hard to believe that it is easier to get permission to kill
> vertebrates than it is for lower animals.
>
> Harry Pavulaan

I disagree with the concept that insects are "lower animals". To me it is
an out dated concept deriving from the ideas that man is superior and more
god-like. Certainly at least to my mind that concept was defeated as soon
as Darwin arrived with his ideas on evolution in the same way as Copernicus
defeated the notion that the earth was the centre of the universe.

Insects are as highly evolved as any other kind of animal on the planet.

Amongst biologists should we regard entomologists as "lower scientists".
I think not.

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk "The beauty and genius of a work of art
may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a