Our insect bias

Bruce Walsh bruce_walsh at tikal.biosci.arizona.edu
Thu Sep 4 20:40:55 EDT 1997

                       Subject:                               Time:8:25 AM
  OFFICE MEMO          Our insect bias                        Date:9/5/97

Some more thoughts on insects and collecting, motivated by Neil's comment
that:

"Insects are as highly evolved as any other kind of animal on the planet."

Since all organisms extend from the same common ancestor, ANY lifeform is as
highly evolved as ANY other.  For example,   bacteria are FAR superior to any
animals in terms of biochemical evolution (could you live on just a single
carbon source?).

Likewise, this ANIMAL bias is, frankly, disgusting.  PLANTS are just as
evolved, and just as sophisticated, having very complex adaptations that allow
them to accommodate for their lack of mobility.  They also have a very well
developed wound-response system.  If they are animals, we would call this a
nervous system, but since they are "just" lowly plants, our animal bias
ignores these complex systems.

Imagine how barbaric it is to rip the reproductive structures off of living
organisms.  Yet, this is just what we do with flowers.  A truly strange act to
show love for ones companion.

Given all the above, it is clear that we should BAN all flower-collecting (or
picking) unless individuals have a scientific permit for such collecting.

 Obvious, the above logic extends to, god forbit, the actual EATING of any
plant-related products, expect thoses killed by natural causes. This, however,
is only a small step, as once our plant bias is overcome, we then need to work
on our multicellular bias, extending the same respect to yeast, fungi,
prostists, and prokaryotes.  At this rate, only viroids and prions will be
safe.

Cheers

Bruce Walsh