Singapore leps

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Fri Aug 28 19:41:22 EDT 1998

	Andrea wrote:

	just a note of warning, collecting is not permitted in singapore,
unless
	you are doing research and have a permit from nparks which is
responsible
	for the maintenance of nature reserves here.

	andrea :)

What a bummer.  I understand that there are probably a number of species
that are threatened and should be left alone, but I can't understand why a
place so close to the equator would simply ban all collecting all together.
Surely there must be many common species bordering on pest status that some
hillbilly collector like myself would drool to have a specimen of.  Why is
the world so pitifully bassackwards?  A little preservation goes a long way
- we really don't have to prohibit collecting if we leave a sufficient
amount of undisturbed habitat.

Oops, I did it again...

Mark Walker
Irvine, CA