Singapore leps

SK Khew khewsk at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 29 01:38:28 EDT 1998

>What a bummer.  I understand that there are probably a number of
species
>that are threatened and should be left alone, but I can't understand
why a
>place so close to the equator would simply ban all collecting all
together.
>Surely there must be many common species bordering on pest status that
some
>hillbilly collector like myself would drool to have a specimen of.  Why
is
>the world so pitifully bassackwards?  A little preservation goes a long
way
>- we really don't have to prohibit collecting if we leave a sufficient
>amount of undisturbed habitat.
>
>Oops, I did it again...
>
>Mark Walker
>Irvine, CA

Hi Mark,

I suppose I agree with you in a way, but if you realise how small
Singapore is, and how much nature reserves there are left on our little
island, then you have a picture of why the government is taking such a
hard stand on the issue of collecting.
Singapore island is only 42 km from east to west and 23 km from north to
south, making a total area of about 648 sq km.  Heck, a typical marathon
run will take you right across our little island, and you could end up
in the sea by then!  :-)
Conservation IS a serious matter for such a small island.

http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/vines/2382  (Butterflies of
Singapore website)